The Islamic Association of North Texas invites neighbors from all walks of life to attend an open house at the mosque on Saturday.
The open house will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Islamic Center of North Texas, 840 Abrams Road in Richardson.
Organizers said the event was intended to alleviate Islamophobia, allow people to deepen their understanding of the Islamic faith and build community alliances between American Muslims and their neighbors.
Muslim organizations WhyIslam, GainPeace and the Islamic Association of North Texas are hosting the event
GainPeace and WhyIslam are national Islamic organizations that provide educational activities and literature to help others learn more about Islam.
“Muslims open the doors of our mosques to our neighbors to give them an opportunity to experience the Muslim community,” Sabeel Ahmed, director of GainPeace, said in a statement. “The current political climate has created an environment of mistrust, as well as a public curiosity to learn more about Islam and this mosque open house will educate them and answer any questions about Islam.”
Open House activities include:
- A social hour with a henna design for women.
- Children’s face painting.
- A table of Islamic artifacts
- An exclusive presentation in virtual reality that allows viewers to discover Islam.
- A “try on the hijab” stand
- A presentation on Islam and common misconceptions
- Collaborate with other religions
- A question-and-answer session
- A visit to the mosque
- Witness to a congregational prayer
- Presentation of gifts to guests