Home Muslim culture Kwara Hijab crisis: 151 students could miss WAEC, director at panel says

Kwara Hijab crisis: 151 students could miss WAEC, director at panel says

0

The committee set up by the Kwara state government to investigate the circumstances leading to the recent violence at Oyun Baptist High School, Ijagbo, began meeting in the state capital Ilorin on Monday.

It is just as the headmaster of the beleaguered school said about 151 of his students are ready to write WAEC while the school is still closed.

In its inaugural session, the panel’s chairman, Dr Shehu Omoniyi, explained that it was not about chasing anyone, but about critically assessing the situation and making specific recommendations to the government. to prevent this from happening again.

He sought out a company and urged guests to tell the truth whenever called upon, adding there is no need to try to mislead the panel.

“We want to work with the fear of God and I hope that in the end all parties will be satisfied with our recommendations,” he said.

Dr Omoniyi called for religious tolerance and understanding for peaceful coexistence.

In his memoir, the headmaster of the school, Mr. Francis Lambe, who recounted what happened in the school between Wednesday, January 19, 2022 and Thursday, February 3, 2022, when the hijab issue took a another dimension, said resistance to hijab was strictly from the Christian body of the community.

Mr. Lambe explained that several meetings he held with some stakeholders to allow peace to reign in the school did not yield any results.

He said the government owns the school and is responsible for paying its teachers, saying the only role the Baptist plays is to advise the government on the choice of headmaster, as has been the culture in the schools. originally owned by missionaries.

The principal, who revealed that the school was 47% Muslim and 53% Christian, agreed that the wearing of the hijab by consenting Muslim girls had no negative effect on the school.

“What I will recommend to the government is to invite CAN and relevant Muslim stakeholders and make them understand that politics is politics and pacify both sides. Now our school is closed. We have our SS3 students about 151 students ready to write WAEC,” he added.

The beleaguered school had been under lock and key for more than a month following the crisis that erupted when some members of a Christian group banned some Muslim female students wearing the hijab from entering the school.

The incident came just after a year since the state witnessed a similar incident on the same issue in 2021.