UFC 280 on Saturday in Abu Dhabi will feature one of the deepest cards of 2022, headlined by a lightweight title fight between two of the sport’s biggest rising stars in Charles Oliveira and Islam Makhachev.
Oliveira, the former division champion, was stripped of his title in May after failing to make weight ahead of a fight with Justin Gaethje. The Brazilian would earn a first-round submission win and get back in position to reclaim his belt. Makhachev, a close friend and sparring partner of legendary fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov, has followed his teammate’s dominant ways by winning his last 10 fights in dominant fashion.
In the co-main event, Aljamain Sterling will look to retain his bantamweight belt against former titleholder TJ Dillashaw. Sterling is coming off arguably his best performance of his career, a split decision win over Petr Yan in April. Dillashaw, banned for two years from the sport after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs, earned another title shot by edging out Cory Sandhagen on the scorecards in July.
Other intriguing fights include Yan vs. Sean O’Malley, Beneil Dariush vs. Mateusz Gamrot, Katlyn Chookagian vs. Manon Fiorot, and Belal Muhammad vs. Sean Brady.
Stay with Athleticism all day as this monster card progresses.
Date: October 22, 2022
Start time: 11 p.m. (main card)
- Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev
- Aljamain Sterling vs. TJ Dillashaw
- Petr Yan vs. Sean O’Malley
- Beneil Dariush vs Mateusz Gamrot
- Manon Fiorot defeats Katlyn Chookagian by unanimous decision
- Belal Muhammad defeats Sean Brady via 2nd round TKO
- Caio Borralho defeats Makhmud Muradov by unanimous decision
- Nikita Krylov defeats Volkan Oezdemir via unanimous decision
- Abubakar Nurmagomedov defeats Gadzhi Omargadzhiev via unanimous decision
- Armen Petrosyan defeats AJ Dobson via unanimous decision
- Muhammad Mokaev defeats Malcolm Gordon via 3rd round submission
- Karol Rosa defeats Lina Lansberg by majority decision
(Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC)